SCHACH 7/2013

General discussion about computer chess...
BB+

SCHACH 7/2013

Post by BB+ » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:09 pm

SCHACH 7/2013 has an interview with Aronian that mentions computers, and an article by Nickel about draw death in postal chess (Remistod in Fernschach). Moissejenko (page 64) also mentions computers: Q3. What do you think is the most harmful and best in modern chess? A3. Beide Male den Computer! (Both times, the computer!). [...]

Here is some (there is much more) of what Aronian has to say in Ich versuche, den computer zu widerlegen! (I try to refute the computer!):
Q. Ganz allgemein gefragt: Warum nutzt man Computer für die Vorbereitung beim Schach? [More generally, why/how should one use computers for chess preparation?]
A. Der Computer gestattet es dir, eine zweite Meinung einzuholen. [The computer gives you a second opinion].
Er spielt sehr gut Schach, er schaut von der Seite aus zu und er kann dir in verschiedenen Fällen ein Ratgeber sein. [It plays very good chess, observing from the side and giving counsel].

Q. [...] Hätten die Menschen heute wieder eine Chance [gegen Computer]? [Do people have a chance taoday against the computer?]
A. Ja, ich glaube daran! [Yes, I believe so!]
Die Computer sind brutal schnell und werden immer schneller, aber im Bereich der künstlichen Intelligenz hat sich nichts getan [The computer is brutally fast and getting faster, but in the field of artificial intelligence, nothing has happened]. [...]

Q. Wenn Sie eine große Firma fragen würde, ein Match gegen einen Computer zu spielen, wuerden Sie antreten? [If a big company asks you to play a match against a computer, would you accept?]
A. Ja, das würde ich. Ohne Frage würde es eine schwere Aufgabe werden und natürlich kannst du nicht so gegen sie spielen, wie Kasparow oder Kramnik es damals getan haben. Sie haben dem Computer die Chance zum Angriff gegeben. Heute ginge es darum die Stellung geschlossen zu halten. Ein Match würde wahrscheinlich extrem langweilig werden, zumindest für uns Spieler. (lacht) [Yes, I would. Without question it is a difficult task, and naturally I could not play against them like Kasparov or Kramnik did in the past, with the computer having a chance to attack. Today it is all about keeping the position closed. A match would probably be extremely boring, at least for us players. (laughs)]

Q. Sie glauben also, es ist möglich eine spezielle Anti-Computer-Strategie zu entwickeln und ein Match zumindest unentschieden zu gestalten? [So you think it is possible to develop a special anti-computer strategy to at least draw the match?]
A. Ja, ich glaube, das ist immer noch möglich. Beim derzeitigen Stand der Technik ist es meines Erachtens nicht möglich, die Computer zu lehren, geschlossene Stellungen zu spielen. [Yes, I think it is still possible. Even in the current state of the art, my opinion is that it is not possible to teach the computer to play closed positions].

ChessDrone

Re: SCHACH 7/2013

Post by ChessDrone » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:36 pm

BB+ wrote: (...)
Q. Sie glauben also, es ist möglich eine spezielle Anti-Computer-Strategie zu entwickeln und ein Match zumindest unentschieden zu gestalten? [So you think it is possible to develop a special anti-computer strategy to at least draw the match?]
A. Ja, ich glaube, das ist immer noch möglich. Beim derzeitigen Stand der Technik ist es meines Erachtens nicht möglich, die Computer zu lehren, geschlossene Stellungen zu spielen. [Yes, I think it is still possible. Even in the current state of the art, my opinion is that it is not possible to teach the computer to play closed positions].
On the last question, I'd like to see a series of match "Super GM vs Computer" of a position called "closed"