ChessBase Seduced By The Dark Side

General discussion about computer chess...
kingliveson

ChessBase Seduced By The Dark Side

Post by kingliveson » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:17 pm

After attack of the clones, ChessBase has gone to the dark-side. Back in 2009 when IPPOLIT arrived on the scene, if you dare say the name, not to mention using it on their playchess engine room, you got banned -- claiming it was an illegal program. Fast-forward to 2012, ChessBase is now selling IPPOLIT. I am quite confident that ChessBase is not ignorant on the facts.
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

notyetagm

Re: ChessBase Seduced By The Dark Side

Post by notyetagm » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:18 pm

kingliveson wrote:After attack of the clones, ChessBase has gone to the dark-side. Back in 2009 when IPPOLIT arrived on the scene, if you dare say the name, not to mention using it on their playchess engine room, you got banned -- claiming it was an illegal program. Fast-forward to 2012, ChessBase is now selling IPPOLIT. I am quite confident that ChessBase is not ignorant on the facts.
To be fair to Houdart, Houdini is a lot more than just IPPOLIT.

But you have a point.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:40 am

kingliveson wrote:After attack of the clones, ChessBase has gone to the dark-side. Back in 2009 when IPPOLIT arrived on the scene, if you dare say the name, not to mention using it on their playchess engine room, you got banned -- claiming it was an illegal program. Fast-forward to 2012, ChessBase is now selling IPPOLIT. I am quite confident that ChessBase is not ignorant on the facts.
Wasn't one goal of the revolution to dethrone Rybka?

Can't say you did not succeed :lol:

Gerold

Post by Gerold » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:16 pm

Rebel wrote:
Wasn't one goal of the revolution to dethrone Rybka?

Can't say you did not succeed :lol:
Now there is a super clone on top :LOL:

Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:26 pm

Yup, i do not want to buy Houdini 3, but it looks like it is here to stay and it is the top-dawg. So if I want the best engine I have to buy it. I think it would be interesting to watch H3 and Komodo 5MP play, once they are both available!!

Take care,

Sean

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:00 am

Sean Evans wrote:
Yup, i do not want to buy Houdini 3, but it looks like it is here to stay and it is the top-dawg. So if I want the best engine I have to buy it. I think it would be interesting to watch H3 and Komodo 5MP play, once they are both available!!

Take care,

Sean
I suppose it really depends on what "the best engine" means to you. For me, that goes far beyond ELO as determined by engine wars. Do 70 additional ELO points on top of H1.5a really make a difference for the kind of opponents you're playing against? Of course, if you're doing Corr, they might, but every Corr player got H3 the second it came out so that they could win a few games before the other guy gets it, too. Most Corr is just engine wars, too, IMO...

I'm still pretty committed to Komodo as my go-to engine (I simply find its evaluations more useful than those of other products, although I haven't tried H3), despite being frustrated with Don & Larry's as-yet unfulfilled promises to get a MP version out; the new HIARCS 14 is also very good. But I also judge "the best engine" based on the set of engines that I'm willing to pay money for, on the basis of consumer-philosophical considerations. Since I don't consider Houdini to be buyable based on Houdart's refusal to admit its code origins in Robbolito (despite all the impressive optimization work that he's put into it himself), I guess I'll have to settle for second best...

jb

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:28 am

Sometimes, we just need a little historical perspective and reminder, nothing personal at all.

As for Komodo, I bought 4 and was expecting the MP, but only 5 SP came out, so I have decided in the mean time to wait for 5 MP or 6 -- perhaps this would be a motivation factor for Dr.D and GM.K. :)
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

mwyoung

Post by mwyoung » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:10 pm

I think you have it backwards, the empire was Chessbase, and Vasik Rajlich was the sith lord. Using his powers to suppress the rebel rebellion Houdini (Robert Houdart) the last Jedi Master that could over throw this empire. That is why Houdini was banned by the empire at that time.

The Sith Lord for now is dead, and the Empire is controlled by the Rebels, and the Jedi Master Robert Houdart.

simonhue

Post by simonhue » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:54 pm

kingliveson wrote: not to mention using it on their playchess engine room, you got banned -- claiming it was an illegal program.
Looks like I have missed that entirely, do you have some links pointing to such stories? :)