Very nice, but pricy typographic chess sets

General discussion about computer chess...
Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Very nice, but pricy typographic chess sets

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:18 pm

User923005

Re: Very nice, but pricy typographic chess sets

Post by User923005 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:29 pm

Yuck.

I would like to get a chess set that has coin-like chessmen {e.g. the shape of a checker} with symbols on it like the symbols you see using Winboard.

Since I play so many games against the computer now, I much prefer the chess symbols to actual chessmen.

I find that I can visualize the board and future move sequences much more easily using the symbols rather than real chessmen.

As for the letters, I would lay them on their sides so that the letter face was readable. Having the letters vertical is atrocious.

IMO-YMMV

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Re: Very nice, but pricy typographic chess sets

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:24 pm

User923005 wrote:Yuck.

I would like to get a chess set that has coin-like chessmen {e.g. the shape of a checker} with symbols on it like the symbols you see using Winboard.

Since I play so many games against the computer now, I much prefer the chess symbols to actual chessmen.

I find that I can visualize the board and future move sequences much more easily using the symbols rather than real chessmen.

As for the letters, I would lay them on their sides so that the letter face was readable. Having the letters vertical is atrocious.

IMO-YMMV
I have some magnetic sets like those, but yeah, it would be nice to have a big, nice one with heavy "pucks", like Chinese Chess sets.

jb