Why I Joined OpenChess

General discussion about computer chess...
MoldyJacket

Why I Joined OpenChess

Post by MoldyJacket » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:29 am

Likely as nearly everyone new to CC, I only considered applying for membership to any CC forum because I had a question not answered (publicly) anywhere previously. I originally applied for membership at TalkChess to ask this question: http://www.open-chess.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1265. I requested to use my established web persona (MoldyJacket) as my ID following this sticky-posted policy (which is not part of the Charter I note): http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 236&t=4286. The request was denied after the consideration of the moderators, but I was offered to use part of my real name with an initial. I consider MoldyJacket on the web just as important to me as my real name (which I don’t want floating on the web), so I joined OpenChess instead.

I heard talk of “hidden” forums, but the acronyms meant nothing to me and simply wrote them off as merely sandboxes for members to vent their feelings and generally talk trash (why else would they be members only?). As most in the general public, I already have enough IDs and passwords to keep up with and consider every new signup just another spam flood waiting to happen. In any case, isn’t it better to let everyone find what they want (particularly references) and leave membership to those who have something to say?
Nominal Quoting Fanboy

MoldyJacket

Re: Why I Joined OpenChess

Post by MoldyJacket » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:15 am

Not that I care anymore (a recent reference link lead me to his/her posts), but RegicideX was accepted as a valid name? Guess I should have dry-cleaned my jacket before applying! :lol:
Nominal Quoting Fanboy

orgfert

Post by orgfert » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:59 pm

MoldyJacket wrote:Not that I care anymore (a recent reference link lead me to his/her posts), but RegicideX was accepted as a valid name? Guess I should have dry-cleaned my jacket before applying! :lol:
FWIW, the RegicideX account was deleted.

MoldyJacket

Post by MoldyJacket » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:48 am

Another thing that seems heartbreaking to me, TalkChess isolates itself from all search engines…even the “public” forums. There is a large wealth of CC programming ideas and information that many beginners may never find; it certainly won’t be the first place they locate without stumbling on a specific reference at some point. Here is a perfect example: http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 28&t=42374. Perhaps there are good reasons for this, and I simply don’t realize them.

I’ve been tempted to point this out for several weeks, but decided against it considering the elections and feared being perceived as beating-up on TC. I appreciate the club, regardless of their policies.
Nominal Quoting Fanboy