WHY I Must Insist in the Idea of NO-subforum...

General discussion about computer chess...
Fernando

WHY I Must Insist in the Idea of NO-subforum...

Post by Fernando » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:02 pm

I have read to date lot of posts where the idea of limiting sub-fora is supported and that's great, but I would like to insist on this because even if we leave few sub-fora, with that the principle of division will be left alive and capable of growing.
as I said without success in CCC, the advantage of just ONE forum - at most two forum- is that it give the place an amount of diversity, entertainment and chance of making mixes that otherwise does-not exist.
There is also a human side of it. just look at my post about that movie taken in San Francisco. it is clearly something alien to chess computer, BUT it gave an additional dimension to our intercourse, produced fun or emotions and gave pretext for more interaction. In CC that post would be sent who knows where or deleted, with loss for everyone.
Another human side: we are all lazy and nor prone to click every forum JUST IN CASE something interesting is there.
We want to know about predictable issues, but also we like to be surprised with something unexpected.
Etc.
It's really necessary to add more reasons?

Fern

64x

Re: WHY I Must Insist in the Idea of NO-subforum...

Post by 64x » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:30 pm

I enjoy your posts, and agree that diversity is fine and fun.

However, some people have very specific interests in this forum. For them (us), sub-fora makes the experience more efficient (i.e. subscriptions).

As with all else, there is a practical and happy medium. With time, it will be found.

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:33 pm

64x wrote:I enjoy your posts, and agree that diversity is fine and fun.

However, some people have very specific interests in this forum. For them (us), sub-fora makes the experience more efficient (i.e. subscriptions).

As with all else, there is a practical and happy medium. With time, it will be found.
My advice: make your go-to link for OpenChess http://www.open-chess.org/search.php?search_id=newposts -- you'll get the whole vibrant mixture, just as you like it.

64x

Post by 64x » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:39 pm

Exactly. Through the week when time is limited, I focus (by subscription) on few sub-fora. When there is time and want to enjoy a good read, "View unread posts". "View active topics" and "View new posts" are my friends. :)

thorstenczub

Post by thorstenczub » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:17 pm

Fernando wrote:I have read to date lot of posts where the idea of limiting sub-fora is supported and that's great, but I would like to insist on this because even if we leave few sub-fora, with that the principle of division will be left alive and capable of growing.
Fern
you are not a very good organized person, aren't you fernando ?
subforums are IMO important. they order things.
its not about divisions, its about order.
you have to structure things. like on a HDD or in directories.
otherwise it is all merged and nobody can ever find anything.

Zarkon

Post by Zarkon » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:13 am

With so many forums, I now use view active topics, which is just the same as having exactly one forum, but with the disadvantage of not removing any of the stuff I'm not interested in. I think CCC had it about right, but appreciate others may differ.

Fernando

Post by Fernando » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:08 pm

Thorsten, this is not a matter to discuss on the ground of my possible personal features, but according to its intrinsic merit.

Fern

Gerold

Post by Gerold » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:47 pm

Fernando wrote:I have read to date lot of posts where the idea of limiting sub-fora is supported and that's great, but I would like to insist on this because even if we leave few sub-fora, with that the principle of division will be left alive and capable of growing.
as I said without success in CCC, the advantage of just ONE forum - at most two forum- is that it give the place an amount of diversity, entertainment and chance of making mixes that otherwise does-not exist.
There is also a human side of it. just look at my post about that movie taken in San Francisco. it is clearly something alien to chess computer, BUT it gave an additional dimension to our intercourse, produced fun or emotions and gave pretext for more interaction. In CC that post would be sent who knows where or deleted, with loss for everyone.
Another human side: we are all lazy and nor prone to click every forum JUST IN CASE something interesting is there.
We want to know about predictable issues, but also we like to be surprised with something unexpected.
Etc.
It's really necessary to add more reasons?

Fern
For me it depends on how big the forum will get and how many different topics are covered.
Like having a correspondence game going on in the same forum as regular topics would be
a little to much.
I do understand your point and that is the way it was in CCC until it got to big.

Best,
Gerold.

mariaclara

Post by mariaclara » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:43 am

Precisely :!:

64x wrote:Exactly. Through the week when time is limited, I focus (by subscription) on few sub-fora. When there is time and want to enjoy a good read, "View unread posts". "View active topics" and "View new posts" are my friends. :)