How to find the best players with white or black?

General discussion about computer chess...
Hagen

How to find the best players with white or black?

Post by Hagen » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:35 pm

I'm having trouble finding the right opening lines to study to help me beat a player I know in my local area. I need a way to find the best percentages of wins for either white or black using a database. Since I use SCID it would be helpful locating how this can be done. Currently my problem is trying to locate the player who has the highest winning percentages with the Black pieces. The same for White. It would be great if someone could show me the way to do this or better than that...do a search and find the answers to this and post them in this thread. Thanks.

Hood

Re: How to find the best players with white or black?

Post by Hood » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:09 pm

If we are speaking about OTB I think that a database search is not a clue.

It is neccessary to analyse own games and find an opennigs best suits you.
Smolensk 2010. Murder or accident... Cui bono ?

There are not bugs free programms. There are programms with undiscovered bugs.
Alleluia.

Hagen

Post by Hagen » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:30 pm

I already know what I need to do. This guy I'm playing tries to force the BDG gambit on me and I don't want to play this. Whenever I try playing King pawn openings with 1..e5, I get hit with the Two Knight's Defense line of the Fried Liver Attack or even the Evans Gambit. So replying 1...e5 is out of the question. When I play the Sicilian Defense...I get hit with the Wing Gambit. When I try the French Defense as Black...I get the Chigorin line with Qe2. And conveniently enough he's able to play these lines because not many people are expecting this and I certainly didn't.

So when I do research I find these lines are not discussed much so I'm pretty much in the wild here. So a database becomes critical in finding out how these lines are played by players today because only by seeing how titled GMs handle this can I get a better idea of what to do when faced with these liens OTB. This is why I think finding the best players when facing these lines are critical to me in figuring out the best plans to get good positions against this guy I play each week. And since I don't own a DGT board I can't write down the moves to the game because we only play once a week and they have to be blitz because we can only play during lunch hour.

Personally I can't wait to get the BDG Gambit book on Amazon because then I'll finally be able to play this line and not get killed OTB with either color.

Hood

Post by Hood » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:07 pm

I am opting for an other solution. Avoid his lines earlier :-) .

You will read a book then he will change the openings you will have to buy another book.

i.e In French you can play 3.. dxe4.
e4.e5 you do not have to play 2 Knights. etc.
Smolensk 2010. Murder or accident... Cui bono ?

There are not bugs free programms. There are programms with undiscovered bugs.
Alleluia.

Sarciness

Post by Sarciness » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:01 pm

Here's a thought. Play 1...d5 (Scandanavian), allowing the BDG, then go into a French! 1. e4 d5 2. d4 e6.

3. Qe2 is nothing to worry about here. Hope this works!